Dielectric relaxation of non-conducting colloidal particles in non-binary solutions: mutual enhancement of adsorption oscillations
I.A. Razilov, N.J. Zharkikh, F. Gonzalez-Caballero,
A.V. Delgado, S.S. Dukhin
This paper deals with the low-frequency dielectric dispersion (LFDD) of colloidal suspensions with non-binary electrolyte solutions as dispersion media. Starting from the theory of double-layer concentration polarization in AC fields, it is demonstrated that countenons can undergo significant adsorption oscillations which can increase to a large extent the dielectric increment of the suspensions. It is also shown that such oscillations can also affect the characteristic relaxation frequency of the dielectric spectrum. This quantity can be either larger or smaller than it would be in a purely binary electrolyte, in which adsorption oscillations do not occur. The predictions of the theory are compared to experimental LFDD data reported in the literature.
1. V.R. Estrela-Llopis and I.A. Razilov. Kolloidn. Zh., 49 (6) (1987) 1155.
2. V.R. Estrela-Llopis and I.A. Razilov, Kolloidn. Zh., 51 (4) (1989) 818.
3. I.A. Razilov, N.I. Zharkikh and S.S. Dukhin, Kolloidn. Zh., 57 (5) (1995) 718 [Colloid J. (Engl. Transl.), 57 (5) (1995) 678].
4. N.I. Zharkikh, I.A. Razilov and S.S. Dukhin, Kolloidn. Zh. 58 (2) (1996) 193.
5. S.S. Dukhin and V.N. Shilov, Dielectric Phenomena and the Double Layer in Disperse Systems and Polyelectrolytes. Wiley, New York, 1974.
6. E.J. Hinch, J.D. Sherwood, W.C. Chew and P.N. Sen, J. Chem. Soc, Faraday Trans., 80 (2) (1984) 535.
7. I.A. Razilov, G. Pendze and S.S. Dukhin, Kolloidn. Zh., 56 (5) (1994) 689 [Colloid J. (Engl. Transl.) 56 (5) (1994)687].
8. I.A. Razilov and S.S. Dukhin, Kolloidn. Zh., 57 (3) (1995) 391 [Colloid J. (Engl. Transl.) 57 (3) (1995) 364].
9. Ñ. Grosse and K.R. Foster, J. Phys. Chem., 91 (11) (1987) 3073.
10. S. Sasaki, A. Ishikawa and T. Hanai, Biophys. Chem., 14 (1981) 45.
11. K.H. Lim and E.I. Franses, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 110 (1986) 201.
12. M.M. Springer, A. Korteweg J. Electroanal. Chem., Interfacial (1983) 55.
13. C. Ballario, A. Bonincontro and Ñ. Cametti, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 54 (1976) 415.
14. Ñ. Ballario, A. Bonincontro and Ñ. Cametti, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 72 (1979) 304.
15. J. Lyklema, M.M. Springer, V.N. Shilov and S.S. Dukhin, J. Electroanal. Chem., Interfacial Electrochem., 198 (1986) 19.
16. F. Carrique, L. Zurita and A.V. Delgado, Colloids Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 92 (1994) 9.
Dumanski Institute of Colloid and Water Chemistry, Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences, Kyiv, Ukraine
Received 13 Jun 1996
Published : Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 121 (1997) 173-187.
Full text in english languages.
Download free full text of the work ( 1.84 Mbytes)
Previous article | List of articles | Next article