Electrostatic interaction between two charged gel layers
Zharkikh N.I., Dukhin S.S.
Analysis of the effect of the distance between two plates with thick gel layers on the Stern potential and disjoining pressure has shown that the interface potential difference inside of the gel layer results in a dependence which should be taken into account when further developing the DLVO theory. Analysis of the electrostatic interaction is based on combining the model of the porous double layer at the oxide-solution interface (first introduced by J. Lyklema) and that of charge regulation. Treatment of the electrostatic interaction involving the extended model of the porous double layer is of particular importance in the study the stability of bio-colloids. Cell glycokalyx is permeable for ions; it has considerable thickness and carries a certain amount of ionogenic groups whose degree of dissociation is dependent on the thickness of the electrolyte interlayer and on the potential distribution, thus being varied inside of the gel layer. The extended model of the porous double layer makes it possible to take into account specific electrosurface properties of the biological cells, contrary to the model used by Ohshima, where constancy of the charge is suggested. This fact makes the problem more complicated, since potential is varied across the gel layer and calculation of the charge distribution becomes necessary.
1. Verwey, E. and Overbeek, J., Theory of the Stability of Liophobic Colloids, Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1948.
2. Lyklema, J., J. Electroanal. Chem., 1968, vol. 18, p. 341.
3. Perram, J., Hunter, R., and Wright, H., Aust. J. Chem., 1974, vol. 27, p. 461.
4. Martynov, G.A., Kolloidn. Zh., 1978, vol. 40, no. 6, p. 958.
5. Romm, E.S. and Rubashkin, A., Kolloidn. Zh., 1985, vol. 47, no. 3, p. 545.
6. Mieke Kleijn, J., Colloids Surf., 1990, vol. 5, p. 371.
7. Ohshima, H. and Kondo, Ò., J. Colloid Interface Sei., 1990, vol. 123, p. 136; 1993, vol. 155, p. 499.
8. Zharkikh, N.I. and Dukhin, S.S., Kolloidn. Zh., 1986, vol. 48, no. 5, p. 891.
Biocolloid chemistry institite, Academy of sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv
Received 25 Mar 1994
Published : Colloid Journal (Moscow), 1994, vol. 56, ¹ 6, p. 767 – 773.
Full text in english language.
Download free full text of the work ( 1.32 Mbytes)
Previous article | List of articles | Next article