The first settlement on the Borovitski hill established somewhere in the late 11 century. In 1147 Suzdal prince Yuri Dolgoruky received here of Prince Svyatoslav II of Kiev, when enemies had been expelled him from a Chernihiv. Since the late 13 century Moscow became the capital of a separate principality, and the Kremlin – the seat of its rulers. This role it plays up today.
At the end of 15 century brick walls and towers were built, preserved mainly through today. In 15 – 17 centuries the main square of the Kremlin was decorated with cathedrals and palaces. In the 18 century erected a grand Senate house, in 19 century – Grand Kremlin Palace, in the 20 century – Kremlin Palace of Congresses.
So this architectural ensemble enriched over the centuries, adapting to new needs.