Donskoy monastery is located approximately 4 km south of the Kremlin. It was founded in 1591, on the battlefield with an army of Crimean Tatar Khan Ghazi-Girey 2nd. During the battle in the Russian camp stayed Don icon of the Virgin, and happy for the Russians result of the battle was considered a manifestation of her intercession.
The first stone church in honor of Don icon of the Virgin erected in 1591 – 1593. Today it is called small or old cathedral. Much later, in late 17 century was built large, or the new cathedral. After that the monastery was surrounded by walls and towers, very similar to Novodevichy monastery.
In Soviet times in the monastery was situated architecture museum, and in 1991 all the buildings passed back to restored monastery, and museum leaving without the room.